Sunday 27 February 2011

I Forgot I Came Here To Go To School...


    So classes started this week and it was quite the reality check to realize that I am not here to be on vacation. Most classes were just introductory stuff and it all seemed pretty easy to handle. I am taking Conservation Biology, Evolution and Ecology of Reef Corals, Conserving Marine Wildlife, and Anatomy and Function of Marine Organisms. I'm really excited for all of these classes, its strange to actually want to buy the textbook to read and not have hold my eyes open as I stare at the pages. So maybe I can still think of this as a vacation :)
    Friday was the first of the Fisher Field Events, which is a huge competition between each of the colleges on campus (colleges are the dorms). The whole school painted their bodies, or wore obnoxious clothes in the colors of each college and made their way down to the pool. (only after a breakfast of pancakes and beer, totally normal) There were normal swimming races and then some funky noodle walks and doggy paddles, it was really funny to watch. I guess our college (Uni) came in second!

    This weekend we found an amazing place that is only a fifteen minute walk from campus. Its called "The River", I'm not even sure if it is actually a river. There are rope swings and huge trees to jump off of into the water. It was pretty scary at first but so much fun after you got over having to climb a giant tree. We didn't even see any crocodiles! The locals are crazy though, they would be doing double backflips off of the rope swing or right from the tree..we were too wimpy to try anything like that. There are some pictures that I added to show you guys!
   Also! I'm on an ultimate frisbee team, how freakin strange is that!? I know what youre thinking...I can not throw a frisbee to save my life. Well somehow I learned, I can even do that tricky flick turn upsidedown thing that Tim and Dave always  make fun of me for not being able to do..and i love frisbee now! Really weird, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment